It always happens when you cling to something with a passion bordering on obsession. Usually this indicates shortcomings in one or more facets of the personality of the subject involved. Especially when the reason for the obsession is work. This syndrome accompanied mankind for centuries and became men of great capacity for work and intellect willing slaves of a company or business. It manifested itself in different ways but the main symptom was permanent link to work twenty-four hours a day. Talk about work at home as exclusive topic of conversation, everyday condition to work, shopping-oriented private office held, prepare the family to live with idioms and schedules related to work ... . Including dream work and discuss the dream at breakfast. These men had no life but in terms of their work. Everything else was accessory or ornamental. But ... What happened when this guy was detached from his position as compulsive or kindly? . Depression, if he had not married before. In one way or another his personality was deeply affected. His life is emptied of content quickly and he was alone and lost without the usual routine that made him feel something. He suddenly realized he had become attached to both their work could not live without it. Began to realize who the members of his family and to find many faults that had previously gone unnoticed. It is not among his friends many of whom still retain their jobs and being like him, talk animatedly about this subject, leaving the issue in question without input. Bored and long walks aimlessly thinking of the great folly committed. It is bitter brooding about the importance of the thought he had been in the business and what he thought was essential to their work. That idiocy so great. The old discarded as a pileup with a sum of money, a pension and a cheap watch with the logo of the company. Suicide was an idea that haunted him permanently for the head without ever completely settle. In some cases this action is manifested by a shot in the head and others simply as a cancellation of mind. The final was that such people rarely surpassed good trance.
These same black clouds were now about to bring down Glen Mark. Fifty-five just turned Marcos seen coming from the outcome long since he played live now. "Super numerary Systems & Co." had been growing at a rapid pace over the past ten years to expand its technology and production flat through the incorporation of policies bright intelligence and robotics that Marcos had left temporal level of a "Tyrannosaurus Rex ". The last nine months had violated the man in his job a painful torture of neglect and abandonment. He came to his job on schedule and sat at his desk where a plastic sign read "Mark Glen - Sales planning operator." And staring at the ceiling, waiting patiently for the eight hours that had empty pass ahead as quickly as possible, something that never was.
Is that Mark had no work to do in the company since its function was efficiently absorbed by the automatic system. Previously, some ten thousand people depended on it for the proper performance of their duties and felt useful and fulfilled. I had a hundred people working under his direct charge within a structure carefully honed over the decades that had passed within the company and exceeded three.
And that point was the only one who comforted. He had received numerous accolades from the highest executive level and had given no reason for a few tributes to his brilliant work. Had plaques and souvenirs of all kinds. But now everything was different. Now I was an idiot or a little more than that. Or at least the machines had suggested this. When computers robotic analysts reported that the system could be optimized by Mark no less than three percent producing a saving of about three hundred thousand dollars a month the alarm of fire shook the entire building. In vain the background papers asking that it drew resources partial optimizations money dating back several years and were never considered. Of no avail to the testimonies of hundreds of employees adhering to the position of Mark.
It was useless for anything about the folly of lofty thought only executives who defend the position that the billions invested in the machines were fully justified in the light of the results obtained in this first test cyberspace. Three percent of optimization. Three hundred thousand a month. The company billed not less than ten billion a month.
Marcos was convicted and wanted to run it. His staff was flat scattered throughout the extended enterprise and many were dismissed without more.
Just left him. Only plant one thousand square meters where only the dust were empty table and work. Soon we would throw away and what would to vegetate in a tiny office in a basement forgotten, perhaps only with a chair and a folder.
Is that the company did not want to fire him. Your grade with honors and awards earned through thirty-five years we were a creditor of an indemnity of not less than two million and the company was prepared to battle for that amount of money playing with the man who wear so many benefits had given him. But it was a matter of time.
The legal consultant had told Mark that according to the company's labor laws should retornarle a charge similar to that possessed at least six months or dismiss him immediately, otherwise it would be immersed in a tangle of claims multiplied by five sum compensation. Only had to wait. It was only a matter of time.
In the six months had already passed three, but had seemed three centuries. Should not incur any failure to do so liable to dismissal justified and did not have to go against the company in any of the orders you give in within their power to the.
So it was successively reduced recortándole salary category to what they could and that was much. Mark had to sell much of his estate to accommodate their lives to pay their new reality. But did not care. In three months would have three times more.
What if I hurt was to go to work and wasting eight hours of his life miserably.
Meanwhile, his legal representative sent demand after demand billing the company for damages hefty sums that only served to inflate considerably the amount of money that Mark would receive at the end of this martyrdom. Obviously the company was incurring a significant error that had been developed initially for input of payment would be saving money now. But the company policy was uncompromising defense of the decisions of executives while these were putting your foot to the hip. Had advised him not even talk to anyone in order to avoid arguments and to avoid distraction from work so I apply disciplinary sanctions. That was because the picture of the man alone and silent waiting to pass these three long months to come. That thought rang the videophone on his desk. He wondered what new trouble would lock this call.
As the screen had broken down expressly for not anyone see his face (which earned him a reprimand from his lawyer, as it could have been a penalty for violating the assets of the Company) only sound came out of the device when it was activated.
- Glen Mark, good morning. - Attended Marcos.
- Mr Mark, good to see. I am Antonio Perses. -
- Sorry I can not say the same Mr Perses but only because my device screen does not work. -
- Oh, that inconvenience. But I imagine that you've heard about me. -
- You come to replace me in the new template section according to what I reported. -
- Well ... yes, that's the basics, but what else they told me? . -
- Nothing more. - Said Mark. - What else should I know? . -
- Well, why should I consult with my superiors. Anyway, Mr. Mark, please grant me an appointment to meet with you personally. -
- Come when you like. - Mark recited.
- But, I will not stop pestering you on your way, or ... -
- Do not worry. -
- Well, well ... not good talk with my superiors I will visit. -
- Well ... -
- Out of curiosity, and you forgive my indiscretion but, what is its current status in the company? . -
- At the moment I have no assignments. I demoted and pay severely curtailed pending my dismissal. -
- But ... That is cruel for a man who contributed much to the company! . -
- It is within the powers of the company. - Mark said slightly surprised. Outside these claims Perses who was right in his immediate dismissal may be worth.
- I trust I am so angry and surprised, Mr. Mark, and if you tell me what your expectations I promise I will do everything in my power to make your trance be settled as expeditiously as possible. -
In all this talk Mark smelled rotten and decided to be more cautious than they could be.
- All I want is what you already expressed to the executive suite and that is, neither more nor less, to get fired as soon aportándome the amount of money that my legal representation claims. -
- But Mr. Mark, the company can not dispose of material as you! . -
- All I want is what I expressed already. -
- This is unprecedented. I pity you and I regret not tell me that they will collaborate between but if that is their choice I assure you that bring to fruition. Good morning, Mr. Marcos and was a pleasure. -
- Good morning and thank you. -
The line went dead and Mark deeply regretted not being able to see the face of his interlocutor. His voice sounded a bit strange and was puzzled by the fact that what the situation was ignored by the crossing. It sounded like a trap.
He removed the small cartridge containing the recording cubicle conversation moments ago and stuck it in his pocket. His lawyer had advised her to record conversations held within the company and that could be used to best advantage for your situation. When he got home and after greeting his family and put it in history retired to his study to talk to your lawyer and make him listen to the conversation. The physician told him that was not in anything that could aggravate these current situation but, instead, the words of the speaker could, as an employee of the company, greatly facilitate things. Advised to copy the recording several times and congratulated him on the wisdom with which they handled.
Five days later Mark had forgotten the event when he read in the newsletter that the executive who wore out their case against him had been suddenly fired.
After cardboard rang videophone (which had already been repaired) and the screen was cut the happy face of his lawyer.
- We won, Mark! You will be fired tomorrow with no less than eight million pocket. For my fees do not worry, will on behalf of the company. Goodbye. -
Mark gasped. At first it was supposed to deliver to Todd, his lawyer, twenty percent of the proceeds. He had obviously gotten a lot more. A storm swept the brain's feelings.
Sentence: to leave an area frequented by more than thirty years.
Relief: by the end of something that should have undergone three months.
Happiness: for becoming a millionaire.
Mystery: Who the hell was Antonio Perses?.
Someone, a person was flesh of your problem and had it fixed. This is reconciled with humanity, with the people I was so disappointed. Now I had a hope, a bit of faith in their fellows who had done much harm. Now I could begin to believe, to begin again, to ...
The sound announcing someone at the door of his office dismantled.
- Who is it? . - Asked over the intercom.
- Antonio Perses, Mr. Marcos. Bring official notification of the granting of all their demands. Since I know this is a happy event for you personally wanted to fetch it. Besides I am very pleased to inform you without false modesty that I have much of the credit that this has worked out well. -
Mark grinned full of happiness. A good man waited outside her door waiting for them to open.
- In an instant I open Mr. Perses and I'm glad to have you here. -
Mark walked with long strides the great distance that separated him from the door. Anxiety consumed him. I was going to meet a real man, sensitive, kind, committed. He reached the door and pressed the release button.
What he saw brought him down. Brilliant ... brilliant.
- Good morning, Mr. Marcos. -
Tall, with a briefcase in hand, faceless, just brilliant.
- This is the notification of their demands. Not be dismissed but honorable retreat ... -
Covered the entire doorway. Shiny, silver. His eyes, red, bright, bright.
- ... Without prejudice to payment of their fees that consist ... -
I had heard of them but had never seen ... bright ... so bright.
- ... Detail at the bottom of the document. I hope this you happy, Mr. Marcos. -
No. It was not. I was not because Antonio Perses was not human. Antonio Perses was a shiny metal robot.